Thursday, January 04, 2007

guest USB in VMware on Suse10.1 and SLED

My latest challenge was to get my wifes new garmin forerunner working on linux since I no longer have any windows machines to use. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any existing apps for the forerunner on linux. I did however find two things of interest. There is an app called gpsman. Another is the library for the forerunner called frX01Toolkit. I would love to find an application that is using it. Anyway I had to put that aside and get something running.

So, I tried installing it with wine. The install just blew up somewhere near the beginning. So, I thought I would just use a windows 98 vmware vm. I already have one and so I tried it but it would not recognize any usb devices. Then I found this site talking about problems with SuSE 10.2 and guest OS USB access. It basically said that for 10.1 which is what SLED 10 is based on I just needed to do one of the following as root:

mount -t usbfs /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Or add the following to your /etc/fstab and reboot:
/dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

Well that did the trick. So, I will have to do the rest when I switch to 10.2 or SLED 10 SP1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home