Wednesday, August 01, 2007

SUSE Linux - auto-mounting not working because of dbus daemon: segmentation fault

Well, it has been literally months that my usb drives have not auto mounted so, I had almost given up when some persistent folks in our IS department helped me figure out that hal was not loading and it looked like it was because dbus was not loading. There was nothing in the /var/log/messages about any problem. Well they asked my friend Eric again and he was able to find the answer. He just did the right google search. Anyway below is a link to a list that had the answer along with the snippet that did the trick.

SUSE Linux - dbus daemon: segmentation fault: "The cause for this segmentation fault is not dbus, but config file: /
etc/dbus-1/system.d/avahi-dbus.conf
If you move that file out of that folder, dbus will start work again!
Just do
# mv /etc/dbus-1/system.d/avahi-dbus.conf /tmp/avahi-dbus.conf
# /etc/init.d/dbus start

Enjoy! :-)"

Update: I found that the application that requires avahi is ekiga(no idea how to pronounce that, it used to be gnomemeeting) but it is a sip phone application that I installed to test my webcam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home